Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gu Family Book Final Episode Review

This ending was crap.


As I had guessed and something that I'm sure we all knew, Yeo Wool gets shot. No surprise there. Back then they didn't have bullets of course, they used muskets so they used powder(we all took history I'm sure) for the guns. Infused with that powder is poison that slowly kills and that's what happens to Yeo Wool. 
Kang Chi goes into Sasha Fierce mode without even taking off his bracelet (complete control at this point) and starts to kill Minion #1 but the Admiral stops Kang Chi...but mainly the sound of Yeo Wool's dying voice is what catches his attention. Yeo Wool didn't COMPLETELY die in his arms yet so they're able to get away with the Admiral's back up crew and they arrest Jo Gwan-woong. Typical. Predictable. 

Yeo Wool gets everyone to gather around for like the Last Supper type thing before Kang Chi takes her out into the woods to die. Sad. I tried so hard to not shed tears haha.

After that Kang Chi leaves the Naval Base and search for himself and what not, do what other half demons do.

Cheong Jo is able to exact her revenge on Jo Gwan-woong while he's in jail. She does do what she promised, kill him with her own hands. She gets him to drink the alcohol poison or whatever and he willingly does so WHICH IS DUMB. THIS ENDING IS HORRIBLE. The writers messed up this show BIG TIME.


Fast forward 422 years later to the present. All of the cast reprise their roles as reincarted people but of course they don't know anything. Kang Chi is the president of a hotel (100 Year Inn) and he lives rich and lavish, still a demon of course. Instead of a bracelet he wears a ring hahaha. Cute.
And at the very end, Gon and the Admiral (Gon shows Kang Chi his name badge they're like prosecutors and it showed Gon's real name BANG SUNG JUN and I DIED LAUGHING hahaha) ready to recruit Kang Chi like Nick Fury is recruiting people for the Avengers Initiation lmao.
I would HONESTLY like to see that happen.

Oh and Kang Chi meets Yeo Wool. Lovely. Rooftop Prince.



Final Thoughts on Yeo Wool: We all knew Yeo Wool was gonna die. No surprise there, we've known about it ever since her character was introduced. I liked how Kang Chi and Yeo Wool meet in the future but  that's such a predictable ending it's killing me inside. I SAW ROOFTOP PRINCE OK and that is EXACTLY how that drama ended. So predictable.
As for her character, she was cool, always down for the cause but her love for Kang Chi got her in trouble 90% of the time and that's probably why she got shot. But like I said, her fate was already decided. 
Final Thoughts on Suzy: The girl can't act her face is blank, her acting doesn't reach her eyes, thus it seems like she's reading straight out of a textbook. She is literally reading her lines. But her acting doesn't get in the way. I could only take 2 episode of Lee Yeon Hee because her acting as well drove me through the roof. But anyway, Suzy did Suzy haha. Nothing much to say about it. Her character didn't have any layers she was just down for the cause. Suzy however DID do fabulous during her dying scenes....but that's because she normally acts with a dead expression. She's good at playing dull people (see Dream High) and honestly that's what she needs to stick to until she gets better. Or take a break and return to Miss A...idk...nor do I care.

Final Thoughts on Cheong Jo: The best character out of this series because she changed so much, she is the definition of "product of your environment." At first I didn't really like her, but she finally grew a backbone and stood up for her rights unlike Seo Hwa(until they killed her husband) and took a hold of her life. She stopped complaining about her situation and dealt with her current issues. 
I liked how they had her kill Jo Gwan-woong, they both held their end of the deal. I think that part could've been more dramatic, and I don't like how she all of a sudden came down for the cause when in previous episodes she was not down for the cause. But I liked her in the end. She showed TREMENDOUS growth. We can only assume that she ended up taking over the gisaeng house and running the place, removing edges.
Final Thoughts on Lee Yoo Bi: She's a great actress, I've seen her in many roles and this role is perfect for her! She wasn't playing the typical cutesy, she actually had to reveal different emotions throughout this drama. I felt her anger, her pain, her jealousy, and finally her confidence in living to kill Jo Gwan-woong. She played Cheong Jo well, we were able to see the different layers as time progressed. Good Job!!

Final Thoughts on Jo Gwan-woong: He was a very smart dude 80% of the time. There were plenty of moments when he wasn't your typical villain, and then sometimes it just showed how dumb he was. But was a horrible tyrant though and for that I love him hahaha. He killed and pillaged for no reason, and EVEN WHEN HE RETIRED (I hope yall didn't forget he was retired for 22 episodes) he STILL ruined people's lives. He could definitely outsmart Kang Chi and crew, especially when he got his hands on the musket but that other 20% he was dumb as hell. 
At the end right before he decides to drink the poisonous alcohol from Cheong Jo, he said I had a very long, boring and dreary life. I was just looking for something to make me feel alive. And I thought...wow. BUT IT SUCKS THAT THEY ONLY GAVE HIM 2 MINUTES OF A STORY LINE because we never got to know him as someone other than a villain. I mean he said numerous times that he kills for fun because he can but I kind of wanted to know how he got that way. The writers gave EVERYONE else irrelevant story arcs, we could've gotten one from him too...
I hate how they just caught him and he tried to kill Kang Chi and he got his hand cut off. He just seemed like a pussy the entire episode and I thought WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU. But whatever. I like that Cheong Jo got to kill him off. I just wish he hand more layers as a character because there's always a great story behind a great villain.
Final Thoughts on Lee Sung-jae: Amazing. He's a top actor in Korea anyways so I knew he would play this role just fine. Which he did. Awesome actor, nothing more to say and he's sexy in real life apart from the beard and perverted-ness you see in this drama hahaha.

Final Thoughts on Kang Chi: I don't really have much to say, my fault is with the writers of this drama to be honest but I'll try to save that for last.
Kang Chi did change, he was able to learn patience and control which is good. That's about it. I mean he became Iljimae and then thrust forward into the future he's still the same guy. 
Final Thoughts on Lee Seunggi: He played Kang Chi well, I think the writers had him in mind because I feel like this character matched close with his personality in reality. He's very bubbly and always down for the cause and cute and funny so this role suited him very well. He's a decent actor, I've never had any problems with him, he's good at showing the proper emotions so yea. Since Kang Chi himself didn't have too many layers, Lee Seunggi didn't have to provide layers.


Thoughts on the Show: Horrible. I'm sorry. It was a waste of time. There was SO MUCH POTENTIAL but every week the writers just killed me with no plot development. It was the same thing over and over. I really enjoyed the beginning but once it got to like episode 6 or 7 I started losing interest. We never got to look for the Gu Family Book, I honestly wanted to see him go through on a journey for that...didn't happen. Bringing the parents back was fun but it served no purpose at all, the story arc for that was WEAK. They rushed through things because they spent so many episodes on the love lines we lost better story arcs. Seeing the war happen, seeing a bromance happen, having a satisfactory ending for all the characters just everything seemed rushed. If you like basic plot lines then sure this is for you, but that's it. This plot was basic and PREDICTABLE. I would not recommend this at all, go watch Shark instead.
Ratings 2/5 for the storyline, but failed to bring potential


But that potential sequel at the end....I'm down for that.




















5 comments:

  1. I agree the ending could have been better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. This is A.K.I.A. Talking…
    Thanks for the great review of Gu Family Book 구가의 서! I enjoyed it a lot.
    I added it to my collection of reviews for the show. The show has now an average score of 78%.
    I personally never seen it so I have no opinion.
    Here is a link to the page if you would like to give it a look:
    http://www.akiatalking.com/2014/12/gu-family-book-2013-db-reviews.html
    Thanks again for the review. If you want to do something with my blog, please contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Choi Kang chi later marry Yeo wool in present future in modern city

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ending but really sad in tear that yeo wool die but meet in modern city

    ReplyDelete